You To Whom It May Concern:
I wrote what follows in response to a sadly ironic opinion piece in my local paper titled ‘Faith Based Rejection of Vaccines,’ that asks readers for a faith based acceptance of vaccines.
I am not anti-vaccine, or part of an anti-vaccine movement. I am for informed choice and against coercive legislation, because coercion costs trust. I have no dog in the vaccine fight, as my daughter is now a healthy adult able to make her own decisions, and I am no longer seeing patients. I got involved because I hate bullying (so much bullying!) and despise the use of unjustifiable fear as a propaganda technique. I particularly dislike when the media helps spread industry talking points while pretending to objectivity. And finally, I am disgusted by hypocritical and deceptive politicians who care not about the damage done and the tax payer expense invoked in their pursuit of their own agendas, and who are willing and even eager to barter our freedom as Americans or the health of our families to those who finance their ambition.
The power grabbing politicians who have introduced legislation across the nation to insert the will of the state into the parent/child relationship and the doctor/patient relationship use the talking points of ‘irrefutable data’ and ‘overwhelming scientific evidence’ to insist that they are right and those with questions are simply wrong. Yet they fail to take note of the demographics of vaccine resisters and dissenters…People over 30, income over 75k, college and post graduate degrees, etc.
People Who Question Vaccines More Educated
Indeed, many educated and informed people have taken the time to look into vaccines and immunizations, including scientists, physicians, and most importantly, parents who have to weigh the very real risks against the potential benefits for their kids and community. They have come to different conclusions, and they would disagree with the simple and oft repeated assessment of vaccines as safe, effective and a civic duty that appears these days with great regularity in the media, and in coercive legislative efforts.
Vaccination campaigns are good for public health ONLY IF the programs are both harmless and effective. Those are the big assumptions behind the drive to vaccinate all our kids. Let’s examine the claims repeatedly made by industry, regulators and mainstream opinion makers.
1. Vaccines are safe and effective.
2. We can so we should immunize.
3. We know injuries are few because of reporting.
4. The science has been done and is settled.
5. The FDA, CDC and drug companies are trustworthy in their directives.
6. There is no connection between vaccines and autism.
7. Vaccinations work so well that if enough people get them, the herd is protected
8. Government mandating of vaccines is the same as seatbelts.
9. Threats and coercive laws are the best way to increase participation.
How do these claims hold up to scrutiny?
1. Vaccines are unavoidably unsafe according to the Supreme Court in establishing the vaccine injury board. Vaccines require legally binding statements on their inserts and television campaigns. Like these:
*“Safety and effectiveness in pediatric patients have not been established”
*“has not been evaluated for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or for impairment of fertility”
*“Safety and effectiveness of measles vaccine in infants below the age of 6 months have not been established.
*Safety and effectiveness of mumps and rubella vaccine in infants less than 12 months of age have not been established.”
Vaccine Manufactures Protected by Law
In 1986, Congress gave legal immunity and protection to U.S. pharmaceutical companies who manufacture vaccines. That means that if your kid is injured or dies, you can no longer sue the manufacturer of the vaccine. Is it Constitutional to remove the right to informed consent, and the right to refuse such a product if it is administered by force? I doubt it.
If you or your child is injured by a vaccine, you can fight for compensation in a national vaccine court set up for just that purpose, and good luck with that. The court is extremely reticent to find fault with vaccines, and yet billions have already been paid out to families of vaccine injured children.
Meanwhile, America’s children rank very low compared to the rest of the world by almost every health measure, and autism rates have skyrocketed along with food allergies and auto immune disorders. Something is undermining our kids’ health and we don’t know what it is. It is cause for concern. It is an epidemic. But hey, let’s talk vaccines instead. Blurg.
Bottom line: If you are a reasonably intelligent person, you can see there is a mixed message coming from public health authorities about vaccines. They verbalize that vaccines are safe, yet label them as unsafe. They tell us they are effective, then tell us that the immunity may not take, or may not last, and that they won’t protect you from someone who hasn’t been vaccinated. Which is it? Do they work? Or not? The mixed message is, YES, they work! And no, they don’t because of the people who don’t get them. Really?
Vaccines Are Not SAFE
Clearly, vaccination carries risk, and is by definition not safe. And certainly not effective for everyone. And if there’s a risk, there has to be a choice. That choice properly belongs between parent and child, doctor and patient, not politician and child. Shaming and blaming won’t change that. Government overreach won’t change that either. People always try to find a way around rules they don’t like. Just watch a professional football game to see how true that is.
2. M.D. legislators have introduced coercive vaccine legislation in 14 states, simultaneously. They are trying to make the case that the power of the state can and should be applied to make parents do ‘the right thing.’ So might (government) makes right (kids must be vaccinated.) Why? They say it’s because there’s a scientific consensus that immunizations are a great public health measure, one of ‘the greatest’ according to them.
But wait a minute! Whose value system says MIGHT MAKES RIGHT? Wasn’t that nazis or something? Whose value system says the end justifies the means? Isn’t that how criminals operate? And since when does scientific consensus = truth?
Scientists are not infallible and get it wrong regularly. Medicine as an institution has made terrible mistakes, and the statistics on doctor caused (iatrogenic) death and illness are shocking. Yet these are the kind of arguments that Sens. Hayward in Oregon and Pan in California are making.
Personally, I find it both offensive and a terrible job of role modeling for our children by leaders who should know better. And since when do Americans think it makes sense that government can force one parent to risk their child’s health so some other parent’s child won’t have any risk? For heaven’s sake, that’s just ridiculous.
Science Has Been Wrong Before
Face facts: Scientists have come to consensus many times in the past, only to be proven wrong over time. Scientists have opposed many good things until they were forced to change. In other words, scientific consensus is not inherently valuable, particularly if the science has been biased from the outset.
And science is NEVER settled. It’s a method for separating fact from fantasy, and as far as I can see, on vaccines, it is sorely lacking. Parents wrestling with vaccination want more science and better science, instead of the rigged tests and cherry picked studies that help get profitable products to market no matter the damage done.
Vaccine Injuries Are Not Required to be Reported
3. The reporting system for vaccine caused injury is a voluntary one. Since doctors are less likely to report harming someone for a variety of reasons, it’s safe to assume that underreporting is more likely than accurate reporting. If this was a smart and sane system, reporting would and should be mandatory so we could have a reality check on safety. What do we get instead? Industry talking points through the unquestioning mouthpieces of public health officials repeated by pundits and opinion makers who don’t even bother to investigate.
So when anyone tells you that vaccines are safe, they are, intentionally or out of their own ignorance, misleading you. I wonder, would these eager to inject people be willing to take responsibility for any damage done by a vaccine because someone listened to their opinions?
I know someone will try and turn that around on me. Am I willing to take responsibility for any damage done by someone who refused vaccination because of listening to this opinion? Nope. And here’s why. I’m not saying don’t vaccinate. I’m saying quit propagandizing people about how safe and effective vaccines are when they express concerns that they want addressed by authorities. Informed consent isn’t consent if the person isn’t really informed, just propagandized.
No Long-term Studies on Vaccines
4. There have been NO long term comparative studies on health outcomes for vaccinated vs. unvaccinated kids health. There have been no long term studies on what happens when someone receives the entire vaccine schedule, or even when vaccines are given in combination. These obvious studies have NOT BEEN DONE.
What problems might we be ignoring? Authorities don’t ask, and authorities don’t tell. Are we pushing relatively benign childhood diseases into adulthood where they can do far MORE damage? Shouldn’t we find out about that? Are we damaging immature immune systems and making them less resilient in the face of infections for which there are no vaccines? We don’t know. For all anyone knows we could be trading measles and mumps for cancer and leukemia. But under this faith based mindset promoted relentlessly by the media, we won’t know.
We need better science, and sooner, not later. Anything less is playing fast and loose with human health (something the drug companies do with great regularity.) Our kids deserve better. And the parents who bothered to investigate and educate themselves on this topic instead of accepting vaccines as an article of faith ought to be respected, not diminished or have their concerns dismissed as somehow illegitimate because they question the talking points.
Drug Companies Cannot Be Trusted
5. Trust the drug companies? ON what planet? We know that the CDC and the FDA have a revolving door with the drug industry, and a track record of fraud, data suppression, cherry picking. We know that the pharmaceutical industry (which makes vaccines) is not driven by a desire to do good. It’s driven by profit. It needs to deliver a return to shareholders and pay the exorbitant salaries of its executives. This industry has a long history of doing serious damage to human health throughout the world.
Just a couple of years ago, the pharmaceutical giant Glaxo Smith Kline was ordered by the U.S. Department of Justice to pay out $1 billion in criminal fines and $2 billion in civil penalties for marketing fraud. Last year, they reached a $105 million settlement with several U.S. states over the unlawful marketing of their drugs. Patients who suffered brain damage as a result of taking a swine flu vaccine are receiving payouts from the UK government.
Merck is in court right now for vaccine fraud over the mumps portion of the MMR vaccine, in a case filed back in 2010 by two whistleblowing virologists who worked for the company.
Why don’t you editorialize about that?
CDC, FDA & Media Cannot Be Trusted
Trust the regulatory agencies? Based on what? Julie Gerberding was in charge of the CDC from 2002 to 2009, and a cheerleader for immunization programs. When she resigned, she stepped through the revolving door between agency and industry and became the president of Merck’s Vaccine division, a 5 billion dollar a year operation for the supplier of the largest number of vaccines that the CDC recommends.
In 2014 Dr. William Thompson, a senior epidemiologist at the CDC who co-authored and published research on the MMR vaccine for the CDC back in 2004, became a whistleblower and revealed data that was concealed by the CDC possibly linking the MMR vaccine to autism among African American boys.
As USDA is to Monsanto and the biotech industry (they never met a GMO they didn’t like), so the FDA is to big pHARMa. Researchers at New York University found dozens of published papers where the FDA had uncovered faults in clinical trials and did nothing to bring the facts to light.
Said the author of the study: “The FDA has repeatedly hidden evidence of scientific fraud not just from the public, but also from its most trusted scientific advisers, even as they were deciding whether or not a new drug should be allowed on the market…For an agency devoted to protecting the public from bogus medical science, the FDA seems to be spending an awful lot of effort protecting the perpetrators of bogus science from the public.”
I’ll say. When nearly 4 in 10 clinical trials are based on false information, the responsible agency is failing at its responsibilities. When the World Health Organization itself calls for full disclosure of clinical trial data in response to all the safety scandals in an unaccountable industry, then we should trust these people why?
Bottom line: Our regulators and vaccine spokespeople in general have repeatedly proven to be untrustworthy. The drug companies have repeatedly proven to be untrustworthy. Legislators get sweetheart industry deals to pay for their campaigns (big pHARMa is the #1 lobbying industry in Washington DC, and is the top spender in advertising dollars, too). So why should we TRUST what any of them say about vaccines?
Really, when we talk about vaccine resisters and dissenters, that’s the real issue: TRUST. Mixed messages break trust. Coercion destroys trust. Lies and cheating undermine trust. To gain trust, there has to be a cleanup of all the blatant corruption in aisle 4!
When the media merely prints industry and public health talking points without addressing the corruption, it creates increasing cognitive dissonance for informed people and less trust in the pronouncements of safety from the powers that be.
Vaccines and Chronic Illness
6. Is there a relationship between the expanded vaccine schedule and increasing chronic illness in our society? We don’t know. The science is missing. 100 years ago, 1 kid in 20,000 had autism. Now, it’s 1 in 68. The industry and its regulators keep claiming that MMR isn’t related to autism. But what about the whole schedule? Could that have something to do with it? We don’t know.
There are virtually no studies or scientific research on the effects of multiple viral and bacterial vaccines given in combination or in close succession. They simply don’t exist. That’s playing fast and loose with our children’s health. Who does that? The drug industry. Why? MONEY! Who goes along with that? A complicit bought and paid for press, bought and paid for regulators, bought and paid for legislators. It’s shameful. It’s unAmerican. And it’s normal these days.
Vaccines Do Not Necessarily Protect You
7. Vaccination is treated by legislatures, legislators, Jimmy Kimmel, and now our local paper, like it works perfectly to protect people from infectious disease. But that just isn’t true. Not everyone has immunity following vaccination. And it’s a partial immunity, or a temporary immunity at best. We don’t know when someone’s immunity has worn off, either, nor do the people around them, as there’s no little light flickering on and off, no buzzer to warn people. And people don’t stay in the school buildings, they come and go in society and are around all kinds of people carrying all sorts of pathogens. So the whole herd concept as the medical establishment and media portray it, as the anti-natural medicine trolls portray it, as the drug industry portrays it, and as the regulators portray it, is NONSENSE. It simply falls apart under scrutiny. How is this claim not investigated before all these articles get published and reports get made, that are aimed at influence?
8. The difference between a seatbelt and a vaccine is this: You put a seatbelt on, then you take it off. We know that wearing a seatbelt and having an airbag gives better protection than driving or riding without. WE KNOW THIS. A vaccine goes IN your body, and you don’t get to remove it at the end of the ride. A vaccine is invasive, it breaks the first line of defense in the remarkable human immune system too, bypassing the skin and going straight into the body. And it may or may not do good, it may or may not cause injury. A seatbelt is an easy fix for traffic fatalities. What are vaccines a fix for?
Natural Immunity is Best
Human immunity, when properly supported, is phenomenal and robust. Man made immunity is temporary, partial, and until someone receives the vaccine, the question of injury cannot be answered.
A loving and responsible parent has to examine the possible risks against the possible benefits. With seatbelts, that’s a no brainer. But with vaccines, it isn’t so cut and dry as Kimmel, Hayward and Pan would have you believe. And mandating that one parent risk the injury of their child to protect another parent’s child from injury is simply unconscionable.
That isn’t the role of government in the land of the free and the home of the brave either. In a totalitarian state, sure, I can see where government would assume for itself the right to do as it damn well pleases. This is America, and we’re not a totalitarian state. We’re a nation built on the ideals of individual responsibility and God given rights that no government can deny to us.
Mandatory Vaccine Bills
It’s a slippery slope when the government gets to decide what is injected into our bodies. And that’s what Senator Hayward was pushing in Salem: government getting to make decisions about what goes into our children’s bodies. How can any thinking and reasoning human being accept this, unless they are simply taking it on faith that the authorities and drug companies, on this ONE THING, are somehow trustworthy? That’s a religious impulse, not a reasoned decision.
9. Mandatory vaccination bills introduced simultaneously in 14 states ( after the media portrayed measles as something akin to ebola ) are actually doing more damage to the public health mass immunization campaigns than had they simply left well enough alone. By trying to force compliance, they are actually CREATING a movement that did not exist before the power grabs, because Americans resist dictatorship.
Contrary to what these ambitious politicians want us to believe, we actually have historic highs of participation in public health immunization programs right now. But by dragging this through the sausage making process of legislation, by repeating erroneous statements in the press as if they are true, by promoting talking points that fly in the face of personal experience and easily found evidence of the many problems I’ve named here, more people are finding more reasons to question the immunization programs.
The smarter choice ‘for public health’ is to continue with what we were doing and stop this foolish public argument by removing the cause: Overreach by ambitious legislators, and the failure of the press to actually investigate claims made about safety and effectiveness. And I personally find it very interesting that these bills were somehow just ready to go. Reminds me of the Patriot Act. How about you?
Vaccines Were Introduced AFTER disease declined already almost 100%
10. What role did vaccines play in the reduction of morbidity and mortality of infectious disease? We don’t know. What we have is a correlation between the advent of vaccines and a further decrease in incidence of infectious disease already on its way out. Doesn’t the scientific community constantly remind us that correlation isn’t equal to causation? As the saying goes, when the waves are receding, it’s easy to believe that you are emptying the ocean with your bucket.
As I read the data, the industry has taken credit for an outcome more honestly attributed to a change in internal and external environmental factors (clean air, sanitation, fewer tonsillectomies, more nutritious food and indoor plumbing) than to vaccines. I have yet to see anything that successfully makes the case that vaccines were responsible. I’ve seen plenty of writing that simply claims credit.
These are just the first issues that come to my mind on this topic, and I’m certain there are others (my wife just named two more which I’m not including as an act of kindness to my readers). As can be seen from my list, there are legitimate issues that non vaccinating or partially vaccinating parents have credible concerns about, and that the media refuses to investigate.
Now editorialists and entertainers insist on repeating the claims and talking points of the drug industry. Pardon the skepticism, but most of the parents I’ve talked with would just like someone in a position of authority to address these concerns honestly instead of talking down to them and dismissing their concerns.
But an honest investigation is not what will happen in Salem, where agenda driven politicians have no interest in anything that could interfere with their agendas. One would hope it could happen by way of the press doing its job and investigating. But I think most of us now know that isn’t going to happen either. After all, the drug companies are the big dog on the street when it comes to advertising. And the press isn’t going to bite the hand that feeds them.
Vaccines Not Safe & Effective
Where is the irrefutable data on which the persistent claim of ‘safe and effective’ is based? I can’t find it, and I’ve really looked. I find only the appearance of consensus and the same talking points everywhere I look. It reminds me of the story of the Emperor with no clothes on. Everyone keeps saying he’s wearing clothes, when he’s clearly not (but they can’t see it, not until some child has the audacity to point out the obvious can people see what is right in front of their eyes).
It appears to me that no one in authority in public health or in the press has done their due diligence before making the same claims. It appears to me that instead, they are asking us to accept vaccination as an article of faith.
That doesn’t fly around here. People in our highly educated and informed community, and in our freedom loving state and nation, do question authority, and do have legitimate questions that remain unexamined and unanswered by authorities and opinion makers.
The drug companies are in a full court press right now all over the world with coercive legislation aimed at guaranteeing their income from vaccines. They want it all, with no liability, and they seemed determined to get it. Coercive legislation is being offered and passed in numerous countries, all based on the same claims.
As I hope I’ve shown, the claims don’t hold up to scrutiny. But the fix is in. And the drug companies will get control of our bodies here in America, too, unless enough citizens value their own freedom and that of their neighbors enough to take a stand against coercive policies and demand honest science in service to human health instead of corrupted science in service to profit and power.
Last words on this overly long attempt to address the shortcomings in the opinion piece in today’s paper. I’m rewriting the final paragraph from the opinion piece in my local paper so it’s more emotionally and intellectually honest:
“To accept vaccinations as an article of faith in ‘science’ is to gamble with the short term and long term health of our children. When push comes to shove, anger at what is considered parental ignorance based on unfounded faith in the amorphous information provided by drug companies and public health officials about vaccines will not save a son or daughter from possible injury. Nor will prayer to the Gods of big pHARMa, FDA and CDC. The damage to kids, when it happens, whether by disease or by vaccine, is real enough. The questions raised by Senator Hayward’s coercive legislation are legitimate and deserve answers. Instead, the response from authorities has been silence, shaming of questioners, and frequent repetition of industry talking points, along with big words like ‘irrefutable’ to give those talking points the feeling of reality. The people of our state, and of our nation, deserve better than talking points.”
P.S. To readers of my rant, if you find any of this useful, you are welcome to it. If you have questions about my sources or data, I’m happy to provide it. Good luck to all of us. We’re going to need it.
Rick Kirschner, ND
Keynotes, Training, Coaching
The Art Of Change LLC
Tel: 541-488-2992 | Mobile: 541-210-0678
email@example.com | http://theartofchange.com